Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Suicide Squad #1


I gotta say, I like it. I’ve always been a fan on villain-focused comics. I was a big fan of Simone’s Secret Six as well as Johns’ one-shot Iron Heights. It’s a hard formula to screw up: villains are badasses, they do badass shit, occasionally we get glimpses of their humanity. Rinse and repeat.

So who’s in the Squad this time around? We’ve got King Shark, whom I think is that shark man that you always see in big groups of villains but he’s never been interesting enough to talk to. In the old DC Universe, he was a great white. Now he’s a hammerhead. Innovation, thy name is DC Comics. We’ve also got the ubiquitous Deadshot. In this bold new universe, Deadshot doesn’t have a mustache and he may not smoke. Then there are some other people I don’t know.

Harley Quinn is there, and she’s a crowd pleaser as usual. I was always one of those people who thought, “I wish Harley Quinn would show a little more skin.” Now she has a new costume that shows a LOT more skin. The only problem is that she looks less like a supervillain and more like some chick you might hit on in the Gathering of the Juggalos mosh pit.

The big shocker? Amanda Waller is now svelte! What's next? Who's going to get new shoes or some devil-may-care sideburns? Can't wait to find out!

1 comment:

  1. This comic was a failure, but not a terrible one, for me. Lackluster art, characters that don't stand out in my mind (I cant' even remember who is on the team besides Quinn, a giant shark, and Deadshot), and the weird need for loyalty from super villains. Why do they need to be loyal? Just put explosives in their heads, and if they start to get out of line, blow them the hell up.

    ReplyDelete